Think there's a wine that we should try? Post a comment under any of the reviews, we'll try to get it and review it!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Pourtal: Miguel Torres, Damien Coquelet, Edmunds St. John

Miguel Torres: "Las Mulas"
Cabernet Sauvignon
Chile
2008

Wine Enthusiast gives this wine 89 points, saying that it's very good for the price.  There's some bold, black fruit flavors and a very peppery side to this wine.

Colin:  Very fruity for a Cabernet. The oaky finish saves it for me.
Rating:  6 out of 10 glasses

Rachel:  I don't really like this wine because it has a very sour taste.  It becomes ash-y soon after.  Too many pepper notes for me, but strangely, it has a very smooth finish.
Rating:  6 out of 10 glasses

Where can I find it?
K&L Wines has a pretty good deal 

Cost: $11.99


Damien Coquelet: Beaujolais-Villages
Gamay
France
2010

Beaujolais is known for their Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc grapes (the full name of the wine).  Gamay's tend to be a purple-colored variety.

Colin:  First time tasting this kind of wine, little underwhelmed.  I feel like I'm drinking a diet wine.  Good for someone that doesn't like wine. 
Rating:  4 out of 10 glasses

Rachel:  This is a strange wine because while it is still bold in flavor, it has an aftertaste like water. It is a weird sensation, but it is still decent.  I think this is a good starter red for people who don't like reds, since it doesn't have a very strong finish.
Rating : 5 out of 10 glasses

Where can I find it?
Best bet is to search the internet... It's easier to find the 2009 Vintage than this one.

Cost:  2009 Vintage ranges from $16 - $25.


Edmunds St. John. "Bone-Jolly"
Gamay Noir
El Dorado County, California
2009

Edmunds prides themselves on building the best wines with the best grapes.  The company only uses vines that they got from Beaujolais, France, so it gives it the original French flavors, but still is an American fine (and thus, much easier to find).

Colin:  The Gamay Noir is much more palatable than just the Gamay.  Though, I'm still not a fan of this kind of wine. 
Rating:  5 out of 10 glasses

Rachel:  This wine has a solid flavor to it.  It is very warm, looks almost rose red, and is fruity but not too sweet.  I think this was one of my favorite tastings at Pourtal - and I had never had a Gamay Noir before that day!
Rating:  8 out of 10 glasses

Where can I find it?
Edmunds has a list of distributors on their website.

Cost:  Premier Cru has it on sale (four bottles left in stock) for $14.99

No comments:

Post a Comment