Think there's a wine that we should try? Post a comment under any of the reviews, we'll try to get it and review it!

Friday, March 11, 2011

picket fence

Chardonnay
Russian River Valley, California
2007

This is a balanced, but acidic, chardonnay.  Not too buttery or sweet, filled with lemon notes.  Has a kind of sweet and sour taste - as the lemon suggests.  The buttery taste in a chardonnay comes from the aging process.  If it was aged in toasted French oak, it will be more buttery and sweet.  This wine was in a moderate French oak.  Note:  This wine does not hold up well in the fridge.  If you choose to buy it, do your best to drink it in the same day as opening it - we had to throw half the bottle out because of how stale it had become in just two days.

Colin:  I believe whites are growing on me, because Rachel makes me drink them more often than I would like.  As I usually prefer a dry chardonnay, this one surprisingly  balances the dryness with the buttery notes that chardonnay's are known for.  It is not my favorite, but because it has a sharp bite, I could see enjoying this with cheese or other appetizers.
Rating:  5 out of 10 glasses

Rachel:  This is a weird one for me to put my finger on.  I like it, but I don't.  It has a harsh, very alcohol-y smell.  The initial taste is pure lemon, and it sours your taste buds.  But it tapers off to a great, smooth, and lasting finish.  It's not my favorite, but it's not a bad choice for under $10.  The more I drink it, the more I like it.  (After one more glass, it might be rated higher - ha!)
Rating:  4.5 out of 10 glasses

Where can I find it?
Trader Joe's --  picket fence vineyards

Cost:  $8.99

1 comment:

  1. I’ve always loved the idea of a picket fence too! It conjures up the image of a quiet and peaceful home. The fact that they’re not closed keeps you open to the world, and yet upholds your privacy. Functionally, it lets strong winds pass through, so they’ll stand a lot longer than closed fences. I think it’s so cute how you all got together to put it up and paint it, by the way. Great job!

    Privacy Picket Fence

    ReplyDelete